"Fried Rice Syndrome" sounds kind of funny, but it's just a nickname for a serious medical condition. It refers to food that's been stored at an improper temperature, allowing bacteria to grow. It can make you violently ill, and can even be fatal.
Germaine Mobley, 62, knows this all too well. She became violently ill after dining at a buffet. The restaurant, just outside Dallas, denies their food made her sick. "I started having problems breathing and my husband called an ambulance," said Mobley. Mobley said she ended up in the ICU for 8 days with what’s known as “Fried Rice Syndrome.”