It's hard to believe that a stubbed toe nearly cost this healthy 12-year-old her life, but that's exactly what happened to Kylei Parker. Kylei and her family live in Indiana, outside Indianapolis. Her family took a vacation to Florida this summer, where she spent her days swimming in the ocean.
Not paying much attention to the scrape she got on her toe while skateboarding, she waded into the water, where a deadly bacteria passed through that open cut.
The tween was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, an aggressive flesh-eating bacteria. She became severely ill, with a fever spiking over 104 degrees. Doctors say her parents took her to the hospital just in time... If they'd waited only a few more hours she would have likely died. Doctors were able to save her life, but she's learning to walk all over again.
The young girl and her family are warning others to stay out of the water this summer if they have open wounds.